Sunday, May 18, 2008

Healing - the Indian way


I have had a mild case of psoriasis on my elbows for some years. Nothing serious but I none of the traditional treatments have worked. I have even had a couple of dermatologists look at it and prescribe treatment.

Since I am in India, I decided to give the ancient Indian school of medicine - Ayurveda a shot. I signed up more for the experience than an actual cure. If this treats the problem, then that will be an added bonus.

The visit with the Ayurvedic physician was interesting. He attributes the condition to impurities in the blood and prescribes treatment to remove the toxins from the blood. The treatment includes two herbal syrups - 5 tablespoons each to be had three times a day after meals. Along with that is a paste that is supposed to be eaten at along with the medicine. The thick greenish black paste tastes awful!

The treatment also includes seven days of a procedure which includes a head massage and 30 minutes of an oil drip. Basically, you lie down on a large wooden table. A head band is tied on your head and your eyes are covered with medicated cotton. A brass pot is hanging above your head from which medicated oil drips on your forehead for thirty minutes. I am not sure of the effectiveness yet, but the procedure is definitely relaxing.

Stay tuned to see if this procedure and treatment actually works. I will update the status in a couple of weeks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Wanted to invite you to browse and share reviews such as this cool one on a brand new website called Grubhogs @ www.grubhogs.com

Do check it out when you get a chance!