Monday, April 14, 2008

Outta my way!


We now own a car and I have been driving around Bangalore for over a week. First couple of days were terrifying! I have learnt that you have to have excellent time, space and depth perception to figure out whether you can make it through that narrow space between the bus on your left and the truck on your right before either decides to make an unexpected turn in front of you. You also learn very quickly that you need to stay intensely focused on the road ahead of you. No distractions such as music in the car or a conversation with your family while you are driving. Your video gaming instincts must be finely honed so that you can avoid all those nasty "aliens" such as pedestrians, bicyclists, auto rickshaws etc. who might decide to appear in front of you without any warning.

There are also many positives to car ownership in India. There is a car wash service in our building that will wash the car every day for about $5/month! Self-service option for purchasing gas does not exist. It is all Full Service!

Even Mona has started driving and is ecstatic about her new found freedom and mobility!

Watch out Bangalore! Here we come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would appreciate if you can post your car buying experience...

Cindy/Snid said...

Oh, too funny. I have been reading your blog for months now (I think I have commented before- not just lurked!) and I believe I met your wife on Monday at the tea thing. I was the one from NORTHERN California ;)

Drive safe and don't forget to honk!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.