Tuesday, December 19, 2006

It's a small world after all

December 14, 2006:

I thought I was in New York but why did it feel like Mumbai?

It must have been the aggressive cab drivers who kept trying to run me over every time I tried to cross a street. Or was it the street vendors on Times Square who had interesting and exotic merchandise that they were selling. No, no .. I think it was the throngs of people with battle-hardened faces storming down the roads with a mission! Was it the sights, sounds and smell of the place? The incredibly fine cuisine? The dogged determination and resilience of it's population?

I can't quite put my finger on it but folks who have been to both these cities will know what I am talking about. There is an uncanny similarity between these two cities that are situated a world apart. And it is not the roads and building that make them look similar but it is the heart and soul of the two cities that seem identical.

No comments: